Sunday, October 9, 2011

Install Windows 7 or Windows 8 from a USB

If your machine can boot from a USB drive, which most PCs made within the last few years can do, it is easier and I think quicker to install from a USB disk.


Not only that, Windows 8 developer beta needs a dual layer DVD which is not something that I have lying around.


The best step by step can be found at;
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/using-the-windows-7-usb-dvd-download-tool.aspx

The actual USB boot application can be found at;


http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe


Having run the boot application, it completed copying the files then came up with an error message to the effect that the files copied successfully but the USB could not be made bootable with bootsect.


I found a Vista install DVD, opened up a CMD window as Administrator and ran d:\boot\bootsect /nt60 e:, where d: = my DVD drive and e: = my USB drive. This ran successfully and I was able to boot from the USB.

No comments:

Post a Comment